Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thinking About Birthdays


 I was thinking about birthdays while I was in spinning class this morning. As children, we can hardly wait for each birthday to arrive. Early on, we are never old enough....not old enough to ride that amusementt park ride, not old enough to get into that exciting looking bar, or not old enough to vote.

  Then comes the day that we turn 21, and are finally old enough! The fun and celebrating lasts until we hit the ripe old age of 22.

  Time creeps on and we find ourselves almost dreading each birthday as we get slowly older. I thought I was old at 30....then really old at 40....now I am 55 and trying not to feel old. I am working on my "self talk". I'm thinking we become old because we think we are. Remember..."you're as young as you feel"?

  I gave myself the "gift" of health by attending the above mentioned spinning class. (I thought about just staying in bed for my birthday). I am also trying to view my age as just another year...just a number. I have a few aches and pains, but I don't feel really old. I still do most everything I want to do...and I am grateful.

  I think I will celebrate this next year with gratitude. I have a great life, a great family and lots of wonderful friends. I have more than enough and I am enough.

3 comments:

  1. Did you save me a piece of cake? happy Thanksgiving Blessings to You and your family! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom...I never read this post and just came across it. Great one...and it has almost been an entire year since you last wrote, get your grateful butt in gear and start this back up again!!!!! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were spinning wool....sorry my brain is in fiber these days. Happy Birthday sweet friend...you look just fit as a fiddle! Peace, Mary helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete